Monday, June 8, 2009

Blue Boy and Pink Girl

I have stalled on Bread and Honey but fortunately, being a creative, moody type, I have two more pieces in the works...ALWAYS have more than one thing on the go!


As promised new pics of two new pieces in progress!
These paintings were inspired by the nursery rhyme:
What Folks are Made Of
What are little boys made of? Snips and snails and puppy-dog tails;
That's what little boys are made of.
What are little girls made
of? Sugar and spice and everything nice;
That's what little girls are made of.



In these first two photos, both paintings have had a background of pink and blue applied and the photo transfers have been completed. These two kiddies come from a photo I found at a flea market. Where are these two now, I wonder? Did they follow a path that was laid out for them? Or did they follow the one less travelled?



The photos to the right show a bit more progress made. Both images have been embellished with paint, the transfers tend to be quite 'ghostly' as I have
mentioned before, so a bit of painting takes them to a new stage and kinda makes 'em my own.


I have worked on the background and chosen what found objects and ephemera I will be adding. At this point, I want their 'stories' to be about what society's general expectations are; what kind of man or woman they should aspire to be.

Objects for our Blue Boy include:
vintage Toronto Maple Leafs metal game piece, plastic army man, vintage wedding cake decoration, plastic baby, glass 'bubbles', ephemera from old encyclopedias and an illustration from The Modern Sex Manual (1942) .

Objects for our Pink Girl include:
doll shoe, vintage button, vintage swizzle stick, plastic baby, toy wooden house, glass bubbles in pink, ephemera from old encyclopedias, illustration from The Modern Sex Manual (1942) .



The Objects have yet to be attached to the piece. I will do so once I'm satisfied with the background and the bubbles. Then I'll integrate them with some fussing and glueing.



Stay tuned...I am really caught up in telling these little stories and am sure to have more progress to show you in the next day or so....