Thursday, August 25, 2011

OUR LADY DELUXE

OUR LADY DELUXE speaks to our society’s current and over-the-top adoration of wealth and things as marks of status and importance. I have chosen to pose my Lady not unlike Mary’s typical depiction amidst roses. However, instead of adding images of angels or other religious iconography, I chose to have her appear to juggle items that reflect commercial decadence and luxury. Our Lady DeLuxe is a symbol of our devotion to ‘stuff’.


This piece was inspired by a 1920’a photograph of a showgirl, a vintage article of paper doll clothing, ephemera from magazines from the 30’s, 40’s and 50’s as well as a found metal graphic (Thank you Donna Durland!), all from my collection of vintage and found objects. Mixing the pre and post war era with the ever-present modern desire to have.

For more information on OUR LADY DELUXE or sales inquiries, please feel free to contact me at tmfancey@gmail.com.
Cheers!