Thursday, October 22, 2009

The Fireworks burst and I'm kicking up dust


Here we have the finished product. My first finished piece for When She Was Bad (opens 2011).
Title: Dirt and Devil-May-Care (SOLD)
Medium: acrylic on cradled board, photographic transfer, toy gun cap-ring.
Size: 16" X 20"
Inspired by the original photo, a cap-ring and a poem of the same name.

Dirt and Devil-May-Care
by Teena Marie Fancey

Strike the match and I am already in flames
The hiss of ignition and I’m burning alive
Turning sweat into steam and I swear to God

We had ‘Once upon a time’ then we jumped to the middle
Skimming, skipping, looking for the good parts
Caught up in pulp, we see truths in the fiction

What kind of salvation is on your tongue?
You lay a hand as you pass and I want to be saved
Feed me your body, blood and a crust of bread

Words and winds and my fate is struck
The fireworks burst and I’m kicking up dust
Dirt and Devil-may-care and be damned


When the sparks fly I am so good at being bad
The fireworks burst and I’m kicking up dust
Dirt and Devil-may-care and be damned