Thursday, December 10, 2009

Or would you rather be a fish?

Would you like to swing on a star?
Carry moonbeams home in a jar
And be better off than you are
Or would you rather be a fish?

A fish won't do anything but swim in a brook
He can't write his name or read a book.
To fool all the people is his only thought
And though he's slippery he still gets caught
But then if that sort of life is what you wish
You may grow up to be a fish...

Inspiration for this piece, 'Baby Boy-Would you like to swing on a star?' (SOLD) came from an old photograph I found of a little baby in a very archaic looking 'jolly jumper'. The photo made me laugh out loud. The song Swing on a Star immediately came to mind! So, I put him in outer space, and painted his little knit hat to look a bit like a helmet. I cut a thin sheet of mica and put it over the jar of moonbeam Baby Boy is carrying to give the contents a bit of shine and to give the illusion of glass. The stars and blue 'bubble'-like embellishments were sparkly bits from a container of found odds and ends I have.

I do have more 'situations' planned for this Baby in the future. So, you can expect to see him again.