Monday, November 8, 2010

BALLS!

"We're the Kings of the castle and you're the dirty rascal!"

Yup, girls can be the King too. And, they've got Balls!(SOLD)
This is my lastest piece and will be part of my 2011 show "When She Was Bad".
These girlies came to me in a vintage Florida postcard that I picked up in a junk and collectables shop. They were originally holding very large grapefruits. I thought they looked truimphant and that reminded me of a childhood game of capturing a hill or piece of playground equipment and then taunting the others with the sing-song call: "I'm the King of the Castle..."
Their royal crowns are actually buttons that I found in a wee shop in Kensington Market in Toronto this summer. As soon as I saw them, I knew exactly who they belonged to, and so brought them home to the studio. I think the girls are wearing them with some attitude!

"When She Was Bad" will open this Summer (2011) at the Cape Breton Centre of Craft and Design  in Sydney, Nova Scotia.